Saturday, October 24, 2009

GRR Airport

The second leg of my transcontinental US tour was Grand Rapids, MI. My plane touched down around 8:00 on Sunday night. We deplaned onto the tarmac but only had a short walk into the terminal. At that point, I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected a small concourse, but was greeted by a very familiar scene: rows of plastic chairs, a long walkway lined with golf-related business ads and a large crowd at the baggage claim.

IMG_3959

Stepping outside the building, I was again impressed by the modern structure confronting me. A large curved canopy extended between the parking garage across the street to the terminal building. Even though a conventional joist roof might have done the job, a cool pipe truss design emphasize the idea of the modern airport. Of course, I took lots of pictures.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Ken Maschke is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.